Broccoli Salad with Bacon
I remember the first time I had this salad. It was at a family cookout and I loved it. It took me a few different tries to come up with a version just like it. It’s since become a favorite. I’ll make it when I know we’ll cook something on the grill for dinner. I can have this ready and waiting in the fridge while we hang out in the backyard.
This recipe is also very flexible. You can leave out the bacon if you’re serving vegetarians. Add some sliced almonds or chopped pecans or use cranberries instead of raisins. I’ve even had a version that had pineapple, bacon and cheese that was delicious.
Broccoli and Bacon Salad With Raisins
4 cups broccoli
6 bacon strips
1/2 red onion
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by frying up the bacon. Allow it to cool on some paper towels (to catch the grease) and crumble it up. Set it aside.
- Peel and chop the red onion finely, and then set it aside as well.
- Boil some water in a large pot and add a good dash of salt. It will help season the broccoli and keep it nice and green. Cut the broccoli into small florets and boil them in the water for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain them and run cool water over them to help cool them down.
- Put the cooked broccoli, bacon, cheese and raisins into a bowl. In a small bowl or a mason jar, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Add salt and pepper and pour the dressing over the veggies.
- Cover the salad bowl and let it sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.